Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Chinese Donuts


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I've never met a piece of fried dough that didn't have my name on it. It's a carry-over from childhood when sweet fritters and donuts were a real treat, and served only on special occasions. These days, I stay away from fried dough because I'm infirm of purpose and if it's around I'll eat it. As a young woman, unconcerned with calories or expanding girth, I spent a lot of time at the dessert tables that were part of the all-you-can-eat buffets in Chinese restaurants. My critical nature quickly discerned that the donuts were nothing more than deep fried biscuits rolled in sugar, but that didn't stop me from helping myself to one after another after another. I occasionally make the donuts for the Silver Fox and myself, but I don't use tube biscuits to make them. I'm not opposed to their use, but I never manage to have them in the refrigerator when we get a taste for Chinese donuts. So, over the years, I've used recipes of my own to make them. A few weeks ago I came across a new recipe for them on a website called Handle the Heat and decided to give it a try. I liked the results well enough to share the recipe with you tonight. The donuts are simple to make and you can have them on the table in about 30 minutes. While I've posted the recipe as it was written, I cut the ingredients in half when I make them for us. I also use a 1-1/2 inch cutter to shape them. The donuts are best eaten the day they are made, and if you are feeling creative they can be rolled in cinnamon or powdered sugar rather than the granulated sugar specified in the recipe. If you like fried dough you might want to try these Chinese donuts. Here is how they are made.




Homemade Chinese Donuts...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Handle the Heat

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
6 tablespoons (3 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cubed
3/4 cup whole milk
Canola oil for frying
Granulated sugar for coating

Directions:

1) Pour 2 inches of canola oil into a heavy bottomed pot with a deep-fry thermometer attached. Heat to 350 degrees F.
2) Meanwhile, combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in bowl of a food processor. Add the butter and pulse several times to cut butter into flour until the mixture resembles coarse meal. You can also do this by hand with a pastry blender. Stir in milk until combined.
3) Turn dough out onto a floured surface and dust dough with flour. Gently pat dough out until it’s a 1/2-inch in thickness. Use a 2-inch round biscuit cutter to cut out circles.
4) Fry doughnuts a few at a time, being careful not to overcrowd pot. Fry until golden brown and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side, being careful not to let them burn. Let drain on a paper bag (or paper towels) to soak up the excess grease.
5) While still hot, generously coat each doughnut in granulated sugar. Serve. Doughnuts are best served the day they are made. Yield 10-12 donuts.

Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                     Older Posts



                 One Year Ago Today:                                                          Two Years Ago Today:
             Citrus Glazed 1-2-3-4 Cake                                           Sweet and Savory Cornmeal Cookies



                Three Years Ago Today:                                                    Four Years Ago Today:
                     Cauliflower Gratin                                                  Peanut Butter and Jelly Belly Cake

2 comments :

RATOLINHA said...

Simplesmente deliciosos!
beijo

David said...

Mary, We both love Chinese donuts! They tend to be a staple at many Chinese buffet restaurants, otherwise we never see them... Thanks for the recipe! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly