Friday, July 3, 2015

Moomie Buns


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I've changed our 4th of July menu. I just couldn't have the Silver Fox grilling in 95 degree weather. We just aren't use to those temperatures here in my little piece of paradise, so we may well end up having our holiday picnic on the floor of my living room. I've got a bunch of folks coming and because they are all special to me, I want to make sure they get the best my kitchen can provide. To that end, I've been up to my elbows in dough for sandwich buns. I'm using my favorite recipe for rolls that at one time were called Moomie Buns. Over time the required three changes have been made to her recipe and its name has been changed to Beautiful Burger Buns. I feel badly for Ellen, who was the creator of the recipe. She's a bit like the gal who created the Tunnel of Fudge Cake. Everybody liked their creations and while their recipes became famous, they were politely brushed aside. I still call these Moomie Buns out of respect for their creator, and if you are among the few who have never tried them, I urge you to do so. They are delicious and I know you will love them They have a bit more substance than store-bought rolls, and while I have shaped them as sandwich buns, you can let your imagination run wild and shape them in any way you please. I use a bit less sugar than is called for in the original recipe, but otherwise the recipe remains intact. Here is how these terrific rolls are made.



Moomies Buns...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Ellen (Moomie)

Ingredients:
Dough
3/4 to 1 cup lukewarm water
2 tablespoons butter
1 large egg
3-1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar (I used 1 tablespoon)
1-1/4 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon instant yeast
Topping
3 tablespoons melted butter

Directions:

1) Mix and knead all of dough ingredients — by hand, mixer, or bread machine — to make a soft, smooth dough.
2) Cover dough, and let it rise for 1 to 2 hours, or until it's nearly doubled in bulk.
3) Gently deflate dough, and divide it into 8 pieces (I wanted large buns so I divided it into 6 pieces). Shape each piece into a round ball; flatten to about 3 to 4-inches across across. Place buns on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet, cover, and let rise for about an hour, until noticeably puffy.
4) Brush buns with about half of the melted butter.
5) Bake buns in a preheated 375 degree oven for 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden. Remove them from oven, and brush with remaining melted butter. This will give the buns a satiny, buttery crust. Cool buns on a rack. Yield: 6 to 8 large buns.



Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                     Older Posts


                 One Year Ago Today:                                                          Two Years Ago Today:
             Nearly Perfect Rump Roast                                                    Independence Day - Part I



                Three Years Ago Today:                                                    Four Years Ago Today:
         Strawberry and Cream Cheese Muffins                                        Asparagus Pesto

2 comments :

zooperson said...

Boy, do those buns look beautiful ! I'll bet they are wonderful. I shall try them out although I doubt mine will look as picture peeffect as yours.

Big Dude said...

Looks like a very good roll recipe Mary.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly