Sunday, May 17, 2015

So Is It A Clafoutis or Flognarde?


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...If you are lucky, being right and three bucks will buy you a cup of coffee in some places. Should you, however, roll snake eyes, coffee, if it's available, will be considerably more expensive and your contributions to verity will go unrecognized. Eight years ago, I set out to correct an oversight on the part of bloggers and food writers. It was a problem with nomenclature and I thought my carefully researched snippet would set things right. I am here to tell you that did not happen, and despite the rightness of my argument I am now ready to surrender. Back then, I discovered that a battered covered French dessert, commonly called a clafoutis, should be called a flognarde when it is made with anything other than cherries. Exercising due diligence and even greater tact, I set about correcting the century old problem, fully expecting that issues with nomenclature would be resolved before the year was out. Eight years later flognardes are still called clafoutis, so I definitely rolled snake eyes on this one.

Getting back to the dessert in question, the clafoutis originated in Limousin region of France. It is a baked dessert prepared by lining a casserole dish with fruit and covering it with a pancake-like batter. When finished, it tastes like a cross between a pudding and a cake. It is an easy dish to make and it is even easier to eat, especially when it is made with fruit that is fully ripe and flavorful. A classic clafoutis is made with cherries, but the one I am sharing with you tonight is made with blueberries. It is a favorite of the Silver Fox and, at his request, I made it for his birthday celebration this evening. When it is served while still slightly warm and topped with a dollop of crème fraîche, you will understand why it is called one of the glories of the French peasant table. Here is how it is made.



Blueberry Flognarde...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
2 large egg yolk
1 large whole egg
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk, scalded and kept warm
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups blueberries, picked over, rinsed and dried
Confectioners' sugar for dusting

Directions:
1) Adjust a rack to middle-third of oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Generously butter or spray a 9-inch flan or cake pan. Set aside.
2) Combine sugar and egg yolks in a large bowl; beat at medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes, or until eggs are thick and lemon colored. Add whole egg and mix to combine. Add butter, a tablespoon at a time, beating to incorporate after each addition. Reduce speed to low; beat in flour, salt, then milk and, finally, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla extract.
3) Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle berries over top of batter; press down lightly. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the batter sets and top is brown. Cool slightly. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.


Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                                    Older Posts


             One Year Ago Today:                                                       Two Years Ago Today:
      Menu for Week of May 18, 2014                                             Chicken in Chipotle Sauce


            Three Years Ago Today:                                                 Four Years Ago Today:
  Asparagus with Pine Nuts Lemon and Cheese                        Chocolate Ricotta Icebox Cake

14 comments :

Sammie said...

I honestly don't mind what it's called it looks DELICIOUS!!! I love fruity deserts and this one definitely ticks the box. Thanks Sammie x http://www.feastingisfun.com

Lucia said...

This looks wonderful. I actually like blueberries better than cherries.

From the Kitchen said...

I knew this! I'm not sure how I found out. No matter, I still call both clafoutis no matter what the fruit involved. Keep trying. I want to be a better educated cook.

Best,
Bonnie

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I learned something today Mary but I am sure that with my "some-timers" I just won't remember. I am sure though that it is delicious no matter what it is called.

Rhodesia said...

I have never heard of flognarde!!! I though only make clafoutis with cherries. They are just starting to ripen on our tree so lots of clafoutis will me made here very soon. Keep well Diane

Lori E said...

I think the better question is do you deliver? Yummy.

David said...

Mary, Whatever this is called, it looks great! I'd love this 'whatchamacallit' with a cup of coffee and some quality vanilla bean ice cream... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Alicia Foodycat said...

Stick to your guns! It's a flognarde! And tarte tatin is only tarte tatin when made with apples.

FABBY'S LIVING said...

As usual you share the best recipes.
Thank you,
FABBY

Martha said...

I did not know that . . . but like so many things when it crosses the pond -- terms change! EVERYTHING is a clafoutis! Looks delicious!

We Are Not Martha said...

My mind is blown... I LOVE making blueberry clafoutis... But I guess I've been making flognardes all along!

Sues

Jasline @ Foodie Baker said...

No matter what it's called, this looks absolutely gorgeous and delicious!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I hade no idea if wasn't called a clafoutis. I will ask while I'm in France if my French is good enough.

Regardless, it is great.
Sam

Unknown said...

1). Clafoutis, sometimes in Anglophone countries spelled clafouti, is a baked French dessert of fruit, traditionally black cherries, arranged in a buttered dish and covered with a thick flan-like batter.
2). Flognarde also known as flagnarde is a French baked desert with fruit arranged in a buttered dish and covered with a thick flan-like batter
Either way, sounds great enough to bake to me.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly