Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Pumpkin Panna Cotta - Away A While Recipe Favorites



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I suspect I might be a bit early with this recipe, but I love Thanksgiving and  the memories associated with it. Our first Thanksgiving was spent below street level in a l-shaped  apartment in the Hyde Park region of Chicago.  Papa and Mama S. lived above us and while Papa embraced us quickly it took Mama a bit longer to warm up to the Silver Fox and me. Once the barriers came down, we became family and she was determined to pass on those life skills she thought every girl should know. Mama's world was full of ghosts, border guards and fears held, just barely, at bay. I made the mistake, that first Thanksgiving, of sharing with her my desire to leave school. Oh, my! I have an ear for languages and dialect but I won't use either to color portraits of the people I've loved. It can, too, easily be seen as sport, so I'll share only the anglicized version of the advice I received from Mama S. In her world babies did not have babies, women wore all their jewelry all the time (as bankable as cash) and those fortunate enough to receive an education did not leave school because they were tired. The keystone of her argument..."assure your future lest you have to move your tent to another village." God bless her; that wise old survivor, whose tent had moved to many villages, predated the women's movement by a decade. All of this was said over the components of a custard the night before Thanksgiving. Mama made a pumpkin flan that was not to be believed, but the flan, unusual back then, is common now, so I thought I'd share this with you instead. Pumpkin custards --- made rich with cream, flavored with orange and spices, and stiffened with gelatin --- are served with a sauce of brown sugar, butter, and orange. It's an easy, elegant alternative to pumpkin pie, it's gorgeous to look at and the recipe can be doubled. What's not to like? The recipe can be found here.

Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                                    Older Posts


                   One Year Ago Today:                                                                  Two Years Ago Today:
         Sweet and Salty Peanut Butter Pie                              Sweet Potato Bread with Streusel Topping


               Three Years Ago Today:                                                       Four Years Ago Today: 
             Banana and Carrot Muffins                                                     Toasted Coconut Bread

3 comments :

FABBY'S LIVING said...

This looks wonderful! Just followed you on Pinterest.
Thanks for sharing.
FABBY

David said...

Mary, I'm not a big pumpkin fan but With that sauce, it can't miss! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Unknown said...

I have actually never tried panna cotta before, but your picture makes it look so delicious! I have been feeling adventurous lately, so I'll have to give your recipe a try :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly