Friday, June 13, 2014

Frugal Foodie Friday - Old German Cream Pie


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Every so often, I like to search out a dessert that I can share with you on Frugal Friday. I was thrilled when I found this one in the Recipe Lion Recipe Collection. It is for an old German cream pie that uses just 5 ingredients, and, I'm happy to report, that it is delicious and relatively inexpensive to make, especially if you make your own pie crust. While I'm really happy with the recipe as it is presented, I did make a few changes that I want to share with you. I thought two cups of heavy cream would make a pie that would be too rich for my taste, so I substituted one cup of whole milk for one cup of the cream. I also add a pinch of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract to the filling. I found my pie needed an extra ten minutes in the oven to reach the custard-like consistency I was looking for,  so do make sure the filling has set before you remove the pie from the oven.  The pie should be thoroughly chilled before you slice it, so you'll want to make it about six hours before you plan to serve it. I thought the pie, while sweet and delicious,  was a little one note, so I spooned a healthy serving of macerated strawberries over each slice to perk it up a bit. This is a rich dessert that I think you will enjoy. It is made with ingredients that are readily available and it is definitely budget friendly. Here is how this simple pie is made.



Old German Cream Pie...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite inspired by Recipe Lion

Ingredients:
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons (heaping) flour
2 cups unwhipped heavy cream
2 stiffly beaten egg whites
1 9-inch unbaked pie shell

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2) Mix sugar and flour together. Add cream and blend well. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
3) Pour in unbaked pie shell. Bake in oven for about 40 minutes until golden brown and filling sets like sets like custard. Yield: 6 to 8 servings.



Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                                    Older Posts


                 One Year Ago Today:                                                     Two Years Ago Today:
           New-Fashioned Potato Salad                                                       Cucumber Salsa


              Three Years Ago Today:                                                      Four Years Ago Today: 
                    Zuppa Bastarda                                                               Almond and Cherry Torte

11 comments :

Ginny Hartzler said...

This cool pie is just perfect for summer!

Lynn said...

Your pie is beautiful Mary! Wish I had a slice for breakfast:@)

Alicia Foodycat said...

That does sound good, but I can see why it needed a little something. Maybe a touch of vanilla or some grated lemon zest?

David said...

Mary, This cream pie looks great and sounds great! Thanks for the recipe... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Pondside said...

This sounds delicious - just right for dessert after a big barbecue, when something sweet and light is just right.

Viviane said...

This sounds delicious, thank you for te recipes, good day.

Melinda said...

Looking at food blogs at 10:20 at night is not a good thing!
This looks really yummy.

M : )

Joanne S said...

I think the original was two cups heavy cream and a few whole eggs, not egg whites. and it's American not German.the Sugar Pie was featured on PBS's special entitled Pie.

Anonymous said...

When you say, "2cups whipped cream" do you mean 2 cups of liguid whipping cream or 2 cups of cream that have been whipped to a whip cream consistency? Thanks!

Merlinda Guerra said...

I'm not person who put out recipe, but to answer your question it would be liquid whipping cream that has not yet been whipped. Not to be mistaken with Cool Whip or something from a can. Trader Joes has a great heavy whopping cream, the one with pink cap.

Mary Bergfeld said...

The cream should not be whipped. As to Joanne's comments -we are talking about two different pies. The recipe I'm using predates yours by 3 years. This is a German Cream Pie.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly