Friday, March 28, 2014

Frugal Foodie Friday - Teriyaki Chicken


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I suspect that only in the Bible is the best saved for last. This week's Frugal Friday feature is a reprise of one I featured the first year I was blogging. Now, I can't speak for other bloggers, but I know for certain that some of my best recipes made their way to cyberspace in those early years. Back then, I had four faithful followers, and since two of them were my daughters, I have every reason to suspect that most of you have never seen them. I want to remedy that by giving some of those recipes a second life. This is one of them. I make Teriyaki Chicken ten to twelve times a year. It's a favorite of my family, and I love it because it is so easy to prepare. It has the added advantage of using readily available and inexpensive ingredients, so it fits perfectly into the collection of recipes I'm assembling to share with you on Frugal Friday. If you are looking for a dish that is quick, easy and cheap, do give this recipe a try. You'll love it. This is what I had to say about it six years ago.

Our first heavy rain came Saturday - a not-so-gentle reminder of winter in Oregon and the price we pay for an achingly beautiful spring. I enjoy the rain. I'm lulled by it's tattoo and the scent of damp earth and pine released into the air, but my inner romantic just couldn't overcome the damp, bone-chill of this first rain. My mind kept wandering to Hawaii and, of all things, the Hawaiian plate lunch. Why potato salad and rice on the same plate? I'd really like to know. Truly! As I puzzled, I began to fixate on Chicken Teriyaki, so, in case you're wondering how we got here - the rain did it. I really like this recipe. It meets all my requirements for a quick weeknight meal. It's simple, inexpensive, made in a single pan and on the table in about 40 minutes. What's not to like? It's cooked stove top so it's an energy saver as well. Without further ado, here's my recipe for ......

Teriyaki Chicken
...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
1 cup + 2 teaspoons water, divided use
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup tamari or soy sauce
1 cup mirin, sake or pineapple juice
2 to 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 piece (1-4-inch thick) fresh ginger, peeled and crushed
2 pounds well-trimmed boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Optional garnish: sesame seeds, chopped scallion, cilantro and lemon slices

Directions:
1) Combine 1 cup water, lemon juice, tamari, mirin, sugar, garlic and ginger in a large (3-quart) saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat; stir to dissolve sugar. Add chicken; return to the simmer. Cover pan and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate; cover to keep warm.
2) Skim off fat; remove garlic and ginger. Boil sauce until syrupy and reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Mix cornstarch with reserved 2 teaspoons water. Add to sauce, whisking until sauce thickens and is shiny. Return chicken to pan; turn to coat all surfaces. Simmer for 2 minutes, or until chicken is warm. Transfer to a serving platter. Garnish with sesame seeds, scallion, cilantro and lemon slices if desired. Yield: 4 to 6 servings.

Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                                    Older Posts


                 One Year Ago Today:                                                       Two Years Ago Today:
                   Bubble Top Brioche                                                     Broccoli and Sausage Frittata


               Three Years Ago Today:                                                   Four Years Ago Today: 
            House Special Mac n' Cheese                                      Yucatan-Style Soup with Lime and Orzo



8 comments :

Ginny Hartzler said...

This looks SO good, and really easy.

Kim said...

You are right, teriyaki chicken is a classic for a good reason, it's simple to prepare and it's good:) I may try your recipe Mary because I'm know one of your faithfull follower!

Unknown said...

I love teriyaki chicken.. and you are so right that it is an easy dinner to make. Thanks for the reminder that we haven't had it in a long time :)

Alicia Foodycat said...

Revisiting recipes is a good idea! When I first started I often didn't include pictures, so I really should go back and see what was there!

The Hawaiian lunch plate sounds interesting - I'm also confused about rice and potato salad together!

David said...

Mary, My wife would like to try this dish... She really likes the sweetness in Teriyaki, whereas I'm not usually too crazy about sweet and meet. This combo may work out for us. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Carol at Wild Goose Tea said...

Now in my mind when I think of Hawaiian lunch, it's rice with macaroni salad. And yes I have repeatedly asked myself---Why that combo? I can see why this is a family favorite in your recipe box. I live in Port Townsend Wa----in a rain shadow. But we have rain in our forecast now too. But you are right our spring gardens are world famous

Kristi in VA said...

I just made this for my family for dinner... they loved it! Great recipe :) I really enjoy your blog, thanks for the fun recipes!

Jamie said...

Oh I used to make teriyaki chicken often - using teriyaki from a bottle! I love your recipe and have bookmarked it! Perfect dinner!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly