Thursday, January 30, 2014

Hot Milk Sponge Cake


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This is such a lovely cake that it is a shame it is not made more often. It is the easiest of all the sponge cakes to make and the addition of baking powder and milk guarantee a tightly crumbed cake that will also be light and moist. There are, however, a few tricks that will assure the cake is all it was meant to be. Success will be guaranteed if the eggs warm are warm and whipped to the proper consistency. They are properly whipped when they become a very pale yellow and thicken like a softly beaten cream. At that point, they should form a ribbon when the batter falls back on itself. The beaters and bowl in which the eggs are beaten should also be warm. Years ago, good cooks took it a step further and placed the primary mixing bowl inside another that was larger and filled with several inches of hot tap water. They would stir the eggs until they were warm to the touch before proceeding to beat them. While I have nothing but admiration for those women, I do not do that. I'm happy if my eggs are at room temperature and the bowl and beaters are warm. The cake is sweet and really does not need a frosting, but when the spirit moves me, I'll ice it with a milk chocolate butter cream. Actually, I think the cake is best when eaten out of hand or accompanied with a serving of macerated berries. If you have never made this cake I hope you will give this recipe a try. It makes a really nice cake. Here is how its made. 




Hot Milk Sponge Cake...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Taste of Home magazine

Ingredients:
4 eggs, room temperature
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/4 cups 2% milk
10 tablespoons butter, cubed

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Set aside.
2) In a large bowl, beat eggs on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
3) Combine flour and baking powder. Gradually add to batter, beating at low speed just until smooth.
4) In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter just until butter is melted. Gradually add to batter and beat just until combined.
5) Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12-16 servings.



Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                                    Older Posts



                One Year Ago Today:                                                        Two Years Ago Today:
        Citrus Salad with Poppyseed Dressing                                        Chicken Cutlets Pojarski



                Three Years Ago Today:                                                 Four Years Ago Today: 
             Chocolate Cheesecake Squares                                         Raspberry Streusel Muffins

17 comments :

mia xara said...

Hi Mary, your cake looks great,I'm going to make it tomorrow,I have such a craving over it..Have a good night,XO

Glamour Drops said...

Well i do remember my grandmother making this style of cake, but had honestly forgotten all about it!

how delightful that you have posted the recipe. i shall make it this weekend.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

It sounds so simple and yet ideal with fresh fruit or as you mentioned just as is.

Mim said...

This sponge cake is what I grew up with made for strawberry shortcake in the summer. I still make it for my family. Will try warming everything next time.

Kim said...

The texture of this cake looks so perfect!

Alicia Foodycat said...

I've never even heard of this cake! It looks like the perfect texture.

David said...

Mary, This is my favorite type of cake...soft, light and moist! There is nothing worse than dry cake... Thanks and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert said...

It looks so moist with a perfect crumb. Yum!

A Sunflower Life said...

What a delicious-looking cake. This would be a good go-to recipe for a last-minute dessert.

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

Milk cakes are so delicious, I can feel this melting into me :D

Cheers
CCU

Lin said...

Mary, why does the milk have to be heated? Is it just to melt the butter?
This might be some basic baking knowledge that I am lacking even though I bake at least twice every week...

Mary Bergfeld said...

Lin, years ago I was told that the hot milk gave this cake its distinctive flavor. The only way we'll know for sure is for someone to try making the cake with unscalded milk :-)

Lin said...

Maybe I will give it a try someday :)

Anonymous said...

Looks so good! I'm thinking topped with berries and a dollop of unsweetened whipped cream. Mouth is watering just thinking about it! Thanks!

Unknown said...

This cake is delicious. I recently made a "fall" version by adding 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice to the flour and 1 cup pumpkin to the eggs along with the vanilla. Baking time was about 40 minutes. Topped with Italian buttercream.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Michael, I'm so glad you enjoyed the cake. It is one of my favorites.

Unknown said...

I made this cake today. It's greaaaaaaat. The best. Thanks

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly