Thursday, August 8, 2013

Spicy Orange Beef and Rice Bowls


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...One of these days, I'll return to my kitchen and do some real cooking, but these dog days of summer just aren't conducive to greatness.  Oregon summers are unusually pleasant and we generally miss the soaring heat and high humidity that plague the rest of the country. You'd think our cooler temperatures would keep me in the kitchen with a light heart and agile hands, but that doesn't seem to happen.  While I put in marathon sessions when local berries and vegetables come to market,  for most of the summer I'm a 30 minute meal kind of gal and try to keep our meals as simple as they possibly can be. These orange beef and rice bowls  are an example of the type of supper I like to serve at this time of year.  They are quick and easy to prepare and they fill, rather than stuff, the folks sitting at my table.  The recipe, developed by America's Test Kitchen, is self explanatory and hard to spoil, if you follow the directions they supply.  It's Chinese-ish and while it packs some heat, it is the kind of dish that will appeal to most eaters. It is also the kind of dish that can be made  in the bare bones kitchens of most summer rentals. So, if you are looking for quick and easy meals to see the summer out, I hope you will give his one a try . Here is how these rice bowls are made.

Spicy Orange Beef and Rice Bowls...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of America's Test Kitchen

Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups uncooked long-grained white rice, rinsed
2-1/4 cups water
1 teaspoon
1-1/2 pounds flatiron or sirloin steak
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
1/2 cup juice
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoons cornstarch
4 teaspoons vegetable oil

Directions:

1) Bring water rice and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until rice is tender and water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork. Cover pan to keep warm.
2) Cut steak lengthwise into three long strips, then cut each strip crosswise into thin slices.
3) Whisk orange zest, orange juice, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, ginger, and cornstarch in medium bowl.
4) Heat 2 teaspoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook half of steak slices until browned, about one minute per side. Transfer to bowl and repeat with remaining oil and steak.
5) Add orange mixture to now empty skillet. Cook over medium heat, scraping up any browned bits, until sauce is thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in beef to coat with sauce. Sprinkle with scallions. Serve over rice. Yield: 4 servings.

If you have enjoyed your visit here, I hope you'll take a minute to...

Follow Me on Pinterest      








One Year Ago Today: Tortellini with Spinach and Parmesan Cream Sauce












Two years Ago Today: Orange-Glazed Banana Nut Bread













Three Years Ago Today: Blueberry Corn Muffins

11 comments :

Ginny Hartzler said...

I'm making this for sure!!!!

Pondside said...

I think this may be another dinner for us up here! Thank you!

Rhodesia said...

That sounds perfect to me, simple but so tasty. My kind of dish. Thanks for this one. Have a good day Diane

Tanna said...

I LOVE simple, quick summer meals!! It IS hot down this way. thank you, Mary! blessings ~ tanna

Unknown said...

This is a great dinner and will end up on our table very soon!! YUM!

Katie C. said...

I do like ATK recipes though I wish they would publish the nutritional information with the recipe. I also find that what they consider one serving is more than that for me. This recipe would give me way more than four servings...that just means leftovers for lunch?

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

This is one of my husband's favorite dishes. I think he could eat this once a week. :)

Chiara said...

a delicious meal, sounds good!Blessings...

Daniela Grimburg said...

I couldn't agree more Mary, the best on hot summer days are recipes like this one.
Tasty, easy to prepare and fast - a life saver in summer :)

Catherine said...

Dear Mary, I know what you mean! The summer has been hot one day, sticky the next and cooking must be done quickly.
I love a meal such as this. Blessing dearest.Catherine xo

Cindy said...

I am making my menu for the week--this is on it! It looks so yummy. A great change from the abundance of chicken we seem to eat!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly