Friday, June 28, 2013

Frugal Foodie Friday - Black Bean Soup


Follow Me on Pinterest      

From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...In the early years of our marriage, certain recipes grabbed and held the attention of new cooks across the country. One of them was the recipe for the black bean soup that was served at the Coach House Restaurant in New York City. While the soup was delicious and easy to make, all of its elements were made from scratch so it was time consuming to prepare. It also made enough soup to feed an emerging nation, and that made it impractical for small families, even if they had large freezers. As more of us returned to work the recipe, at least my copy, was carefully tucked away and became a pleasant memory. Several years ago, I came across a quicker and much simpler version of black bean soup in Fine Cooking magazine. I had nothing to lose, so I decided to give the soup, which is made with canned beans and other common pantry items, a try. The results were serendipitous and the recipe quickly found a place in my regular recipe rotation.  I made the soup while we were at the lake last week and as I was putting it together I realized it would make a perfect feature for Frugal Friday. In the realm of all things frugal, there is frugal and there is cheap. This is cheap. The soup requires some chopping, but even with that, it can be on the table in about 30 minutes. Served with a salad and biscuits or cornbread, the soup makes a perfect light supper that I think you will enjoy. Here is how it's made.

Black Bean Soup...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Fine Cooking magazine

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
3 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 cups lower-salt chicken broth
2 (15-1/2-oz.) cans black beans, including liquid
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/4 cup dry sherry, preferably fino
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
1) Heat oil in a 4- to 5-quart heavy-duty pot over medium heat. Add onion, green pepper, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, purée  chicken broth with one can of black beans and bean liquid in a blender.
3) Add cumin and oregano to pot with onions and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Stir in black bean purée and remaining whole beans with their liquid; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce  heat to low, partially cover the pot, and simmer, stirring frequently, until  flavors are melded, about 10 minutes. Stir in the sherry and season to taste with salt and pepper. Yield: 4 servings.








One Year Ago Today: Summer Vegetable Crepes














Two Years Ago Today: Cottage Cheese Rolls














Three Years Ago Today: Baba Ganoush













Four Years Ago Today: Blue Corn Muffins

12 comments :

Ginny Hartzler said...

Phil LOVES black bean soup, and always gets it when Panera Bread has it. And this looks easy because you use canned beans. Hmmm, I don't have a blender, but I have an immersion blender...that would work.

Tanna said...

I know this may sound sad; but, I think I'd love this on top of the orzo recipe from yesterday! LOL! Both sound great. Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Mary. blessings ~ tanna

Unknown said...

Don't tell anyone, but I just tried black bean soup for the first time a few months ago!! It was pretty good! I like the easy of this recipe too!

lindalou said...

We are headed up north on vacation shortly and we are making Black Bean Soup. I'm bringing up your recipe. Thanks

Debra Eliotseats said...

Mom has one from scratch that is time consuming as well. I love this stream-lined version.

AdriBarr said...

The soup sounds wonderful I love it when I find a recipe I have tucked away - like a little treasure! Have a great weekend.

Unknown said...

Leave it to Fine Cooking to come to the rescue. This soup looks wonderful. My DIL is crazy for black bean soup so I'll have to try this one out.1 :)

Kim said...

I had black bean soup once and I loved it! Yours looks really good!

decocinasytacones said...

Oh, so similar to one of our typical dishes from the basque country....

http://decocinasytacones.blogspot.com.es/2011/08/black-pocha-bean-pocha-negra.html

Have a great weekend!!
Love
Marialuisa

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

Black bean soup is one of my healthier pleasures in winter, this looks delicious :D

Cheers
CCU

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to have read your recipe - I've actually never made black bean soup as all the recipes I've read call for ham hocks and other things I'm not really wild about - yours is perfect and I'm looking forward to trying it!
Mary x

Joanne said...

I love black bean soups! This sounds like it has great flavor.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly