Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Cornmeal and Cheese Drop Biscuits


                               The winner of the $50 Novica gift certificate is PlumGaga.
                     Please forward an email address to which the certificate can be sent.

Follow Me on Pinterest      

From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I must apologize to you, but it looks like you are going to have to put up with my cottage and cabin recipes until I actually write a book in which to keep them. The Silver Fox and I have spent a lot of time in poorly equipped kitchens this year and my brain keeps demanding I find or create recipes that can be made in these ridiculously small spaces. Tonight's recipe is actually a tie-in to a soup I'll be featuring on Frugal Friday later in the week, but I think you'll find the biscuits are a great way to fill out any menu that features soup or stew. They are almost effortless to make and if you have a bowl, a spoon and a cookie sheet you can have biscuits in a matter of minutes. The recipe comes from Taste of Home magazine and I vary only slightly from the original version of it. Specifically, I use masa rather than cornmeal and substitute Parmesan cheese for the cheddar that is called for in the recipe. Like most biscuits, you'll find these do not reheat well, so, you might want to scale back the ingredients and make only what can be eaten in one sitting. This is a foolproof recipe and it is a great biscuit starter for young cooks to try. I think your family will enjoy them. Here is how they are made.

Cornmeal and Cheese Drop Biscuits...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Taste of Home magazine

Ingredients:
1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup 2% milk

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a large baking sheet.
2) Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and mustard in a large bowl. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Stir in cheese and milk just until moistened.
3) Drop by 1/4 cupfuls 2-inches apart onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 26-28 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 10 servings.








One Year Ago Today: Grilled Corn Salad














Two Years Ago Today: London Broil with Ravigote Sauce














Three Years Ago Today: Watermelon, Cucumber and Tomato Salad















Four Years Ago Today: Raspberry Ripple

15 comments :

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have not seen this combination before, usually only the cheese. AND I love that magazine!

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

I never get bored of your recipes Mary. It's a pleasure!

Duncan In Kuantan
Kuantan nature photos

Alicia Foodycat said...

I'm happy for lots more recipes like these!

Kim said...

Evryone needs easy recipe (small kitchen or not) and these biscuits looks really good!

Tanna said...

I love your cabin recipes, Mary. They fit my skill level. LOL! blessings ~ tanna

Sprigs of Rosemary said...

You seem to manage quite well, Mary, in any size kitchen, whatever the facilities. One resourceful cook you are!

Vicki Bensinger said...

I love cheesy biscuits but never make them. Yours look sp pretty and look like they have cheddar in them rather than the Parmesan that you said you use. This will be a great biscuit to make while vacationing. I wonder how they'll cook at high eIevation? guess I'll find out.

Unknown said...

I love these "cottage and cabin" recipes! It reminds us that we don't need all that fancy, expensive equipment to make a delicious meal or snack! And these biscuits? Well... all I can really say is YUM! Can't beat a good cheesy biscuit!

Joanne said...

Cheese stuffed biscuits always sound good to me!!

Lori E said...

Mmmm that mustard would add a nice bite to them. I don't think these would last long enough in my house to make it to the table.

Mr. & Mrs. P said...

Love these.... Saving this recipe to make these..

Gloria Baker said...

these biscuits look adorable and I love they are with cornmeal!!

David said...

Mary, I really really like biscuits like these...cornmeal and cheese with soft butter...Yum! Thanks for the recipe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Unknown said...

These kind of biscuits are irresistible to me. And what a bonus that they're so simple to make, love it!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh these biscuits look so delicious. The kind you might not want to stop eating!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly