Saturday, April 27, 2013

Gnarly Casserole Cheese Bread


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...We were busy, busy, busy today. The Silver Fox was playing catch-up in the garden and I was working with Emily White who has  been helping me make One Perfect Bite look a bit more professional. Dinner time rolled around before I was ready for it, so it turned out to be a soup and salad meal that I was able to fortify with a cheese bread that I want to share with you tonight. Every once in a while, I stumble on a recipe that is as delicious to eat as it is easy to make. This is one of them. This cheesy quick bread takes 20 minutes to prepare and another 25 to 30 minutes to bake, and if you eat it when it's warm, it can make an ordinary meal quite special. I do have two cautions to share with you regarding its preparation. Resist the temptation to over-mix the ingredients. It is also important to thoroughly mix the wet ingredients before they are added to the flour mixture. Even more important, is the need to test the bread, as best you can,  for doneness. While the  recipe suggests baking for 20 to 25  minutes in a very hot oven, I've added an extra 5 minutes to that time to insure no unwanted moist streaks are encountered when the bread is cut. This casserole bread is fantastic when it is freshly made and warm, but things go downhill rapidly if it sits to long. It is not, in my opinion, a good keeper. I do hope you'll give this simple recipe a try. You won't be sorry. Here is the original recipe.



Gnarly Casserole Cheese Bread
...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite inspired by Marilyn Miner and Taste of Home magazine.

Ingredients:
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
3/4 cup 2% milk
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped green onions

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch round baking dish or casserole.
1) Combine flour, baking powder and garlic salt in a large bowl.
2) Combine milk, egg and mayonnaise in another bowl and whisk to combine.
3) Stir wet ingredients into flour mixture just until flour mixture is moistened. Fold in cheese and green onions. Spoon into prepared baking dish,
4) Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate any leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.






One Year Ago Today: Diane Kennedy's Camarones en Pipian
















Two Years Ago Today: Lamb Sausage
















Three Years Ago Today: Southwestern-Style Potatoes with Roasted Peppers and Herbs
















Four Years Ago Today: Raspberry Yogurt Parfait

18 comments :

Diane said...

This sounds perfect for a soup lunch adn hopefully eat the whole lot in one sitting! I like easy bread recipes and this sounds just that. Thanks. Have a great weekend. Diane

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

Mary, my eye caught that beautiful cheese bread first and then...I saw you and what has happened to your blog. Everything looks beautiful!! I enjoyed reading about you also. I have followed you for so many years, but re-reading your history was such fun. Best wishes on a good looking blog!! Susan

Cindy@NorthofWiarton said...

Thanks Mary, this is another bread I think I can manage to make. Enjoy your Day, it is drizzle, damp and overcast here on the Bruce Peninsula today.

Anonymous said...

I love the look of your blog, this bread sounds just what I'm looking for today!I hope you have a wonderful weekend,
I smiled when you said this casserole bread doesn't keep long, no worries on that ,

Susan Lindquist said...

Wow! I love this kind of bread ... chock full of interesting texture and flavour! The ingredient list reminds me very much of a biscuit recipe ... so fast and easy for your busy days!
Excellent, Mary! Now, where's the beef stew to go with?! Wink!

Your blog is looking so spiffed up! Congrats on making the changes!

Pondside said...

Your new look is very nice!
This bread certainly sounds good - would leftovers be good toasted?

David said...

Mary, That is one beautiful looking hunk of cheese bread! Add butter and it's a meal in itself... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Chiara said...

How lovely new blog ! I like so much!Thanks for sharing this tasty recipe Mary, have a great weekend, blessings....

Ahu Shahrabani said...

yum! i fully support anything this cheesy!

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is right up my alley, easy, quick, and delicious. I have pinned it, and printed it and can't wait to try it! Would you say it is still good the next day,and will it freeze well, because there are just the two of us. LOVE your blog changes, especially the categories at the right. Now it will be easy to find things from the past.

Angie said...

Souds and looks amazing but I am in wonder to whether it will work ....must give it a try as it would be perfect with a home made soup supper.
Love the new layout of the site ....easier to use. xx

hobby baker Kelly said...

Yummy! We'd definitely make that a soup bread. Love the new look of your blog - very clean, bright and fresh. :)

Poornima Nair said...

The bread has all of my fvaorite flavors, love it!

Unknown said...

dear Mary this recipy is wonderful i must rimember it and i'll try very soon blessing simmy

KathyB. said...

I especially love reading about you in your "new to me" profile, even though I have been a follower for quite awhile.

Every recipe of yours I have tried, and that is more than a handful, has been successful and this one looks to be another I will love !

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

One of the first breads I ever baked was a cheese bread, so I'm especially loving this recipe, and now I want to try a bread in a casserole. I've never done that before. I love the new look for the blog!

Kim said...

Love this scrumptious cheese bread!!!! Love the changes on your blog as well!

Jeff @ Cheeseburger said...

This cheese bread is very delectable specially when warm.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly