Friday, March 1, 2013

Frugal Foodie Friday - Pasta Puttanesca with Cauliflower




From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This is a fabulously frugal meal that's packed with gutsy flavor. While it is inexpensive to make, it was too costly to include in the recipes I featured for the SNAP challenge, so I held on to it to share with you as a Frugal Friday feature. The recipe is straightforward and uses commonly available ingredients that come together so quickly that you can rest assured that dinner will be on the table in 30 minutes or less. This is a variation of the classic Puttanesca that I featured years ago and I think you will find that the addition of cauliflower lends a meaty texture to the bold sauce that so many enjoy. It makes a perfect meatless meal for Lent and if you enjoy bold flavors I think you'll love this pasta, though I suspect you'll need to prepare a milder tomato sauce for any children who share your table. The recipe for the newer sauce appears directly below. I've also provided a link to the original Puttanesca recipe, complete with it's history, following that. I also wanted to remind you that documentary "A Place at the Table," which features Jeff Bridges and Top Chef's Tom Colicchio, opens in select theaters today and will also now be available for download from iTunes and On Demand. I hope you'll be able to see the movie or read the companion book which you can find HERE. Now on to the recipes.

Pasta Puttanesca with Cauliflower...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Real Simple

Ingredients:
3/4 pound penne or some other short pasta
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small head cauliflower (about 1-1/2 pounds), cored and cut into small florets
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
grated Parmesan, for serving

Directions:
1) Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and return it to the pot.
2) Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add cauliflower, salt, and black pepper. Cook, tossing occasionally, until golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and their juices, olives, capers, and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon, until cauliflower is tender, 8 to 10 minutes more.
3) Toss the pasta with the sauce. Serve topped with the parsley and Parmesan. Yield: 4 servings.

Cook's Note: For classic Puttanesca flavor, add 2 to 3 chopped anchovies or a teaspoon of anchovy paste along with the garlic. They will add a delicious brininess to the finished sauce.


Classic Puttanesca -  Recipe found HERE


































One Year Ago Today: Cinnamon Nut Muffins

















Two Years Ago Today: German Chocolate and Cocoa Almond Cream Cake















Three Years Ago Today: Chicken Mole Poblano















Four  Years Ago Today: Brown Buttered Corn with Fresh Basil

11 comments :

Alessandra said...

I really like the idea of a puttanesca with cauliflower, thank you Mary!

Ciao
Alessandra

Alessandra said...

PS
are u getting many spammers these days? I had to put the moderation on, something that I never did before hoping that it will slow down, I don't know what to do anymore... does the moderation help in discouraging them?

Alicia Foodycat said...

This is such a great idea! I padded out a macaroni cheese with some cauliflower a while ago, I don't know why it didn't occur to me to to it with other flavours as well! Puttanesca is perfect for this.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Healthy too Mary.

Rhodesia said...

Nigel is the one who always cooks pasta here so I must give him this recipe. Have a good weekend Diane

Kim said...

Love puttanesca pastas and I can't wait to try these with cauliflower!

David said...

Mary, Looks good to me! Even without any meat, I'd enjoy this Pasta Puttanesca... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Joanne said...

I love pasta puttanesca to begin with and the cauliflower is such a nice addition!

teresa said...

ooooh, pasta with califlower, what a great idea, yum!

decocinasytacones said...

Good one!. I´m going to make pasta for my family today. My son prefers paella, but I want to post a recipe I had in London last time I went to visit my daughter.
Have a great day
Love from Spain
Marialuisa

bpod said...

I made this last night--it was absolutely delicious.

Since becoming vegetarian, I haven't made pasta puttanesca much--I always felt the absence of anchovy, and somehow the flavors weren't balanced, coming out too caper-y or olive-y. The cauliflower carries the other flavors beautifully, while adding its own complementary presence into the mix with a slightly chewy texture. It's a beautiful melange of all the puttanesca flavors I love, with no one flavor outshining (overwhelming?) the others.

I am so thrilled to have puttanesca back in my pasta rotation--thanks so much for posting this!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly