Saturday, February 16, 2013

A Simple Seoul-ful Steak Supper

                                                  Glazed Korean-Style Filet Mignon


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...It's been a busy week in the kitchen and with Chinese New Year, Shrove Tuesday and Valentine's Day all converging within days of each other, we've had a perfect storm of celebrations to honor. I decided to simplify things this year and made one special meal that paid homage to all three holidays. Fortunately,  I didn't have to over-think the menu. I am participating in a special promotion hosted by the Certified Steak and Seafood Company and I received an  assortment of their products on Valentine's Day. Tucked in my beautifully packed box were two lovely filet mignons.  I have a small handful of really simple recipes that I pull out for occasions  when I don't want to be tied to the kitchen. One of them is for filets that are given an Asian flair with a glaze that is similar to Korean barbecue sauce. I cheat terribly with the glaze. It uses just four ingredients and can be put together by a ten year old, but it is wonderful to use on beef, particularly filet mignon. The filets are quickly seared in a hot cast iron pan and then put in the oven to complete cooking. That is all there is to it. Most of you will be able to find the sauce ingredients at your local market and all of you can order these beautiful steaks from the folks at Certified Steak and Seafood. I also made scallion pancakes and Japanese potatoes to keep with the Asian theme of the meal, which, by the way, was lovely. I suspect that any of you who try steak prepared in this fashion will love it and I hope you will give it a try.It is hard to beat simple and delicious. Here is how I prepared the filets.

Glazed Korean-Style Filet Mignon...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
Glaze
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
1/3 cup Asian sweet chili sauce
1 to 2 teaspoon Korean hot pepper paste
2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
Meat
2 (8-ounce) filet mignon steaks
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2) Combine teriyaki sauce, sweet chili sauce, hot pepper paste and sesame oil in a small sauce pan. Bring mixture to a boil and continue to cook until syrupy bubbles form on the surface of the sauce. Remove from heat and set aside.
3) Season both sides of the filet mignons with salt and pepper. Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat until it is blazing hot. Add oil and swirl to cover bottom of pan.  Place steaks in hot pan  and cook on one side without moving for 3 minutes. Turn steaks over and transfer to oven. Roast for about 10 to 12 for medium rare steaks. I suggest using a meat thermometer to insure steaks are cooked to your liking. Brush steaks with glaze a minute or two before removing from oven. Remove pan from oven   and brush steaks again  with glaze. Let sit in a foil tent for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 2 servings.








One Year Ago Today: Corn and Hominy Casserole














Two Years Ago Today: Glazed Lemon Chicken















Three Years Ago Today: French Quarter Beignets

11 comments :

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh my gosh, the instant I saw this steak my mouth started to water. It looks done perfectly!

Alicia Foodycat said...

They look superb - that glaze sounds wonderful.

decocinasytacones said...

It´s just perfect, but I never finish it in the oven...I should give a try!!!
THANKS FOR THE INFO, I always cook my fillet mignon in the iron skillet....hmmm definately I´m going to try.
Love from Spain
Marialuisa

Big Dude said...

Fine looking plate of food Mary and the steak looks perfect.

Kim said...

Meat and potatoes, always a crwod pleaser (and a man pleaser). Love this meal Mary!

Kath said...

Oh my, Mary! Your gorgeous photo makes me want to have steak for breakfast! :)

Nash Nordin said...

Looks good! I'd like to try that.

David said...

Mary, That's a beautiful looking steak dinner! I love the twist using the Korean spices and flavors. Nice Change! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Rhodesia said...

That sounds really yummy but I am sure I will never find the ingredients here :-( Have a good Sunday. Diane

Tanna said...

Oh, catching up and I'm ready for steak and cherry bread pudding!! YUM!

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

We love filet mignon and this glaze would give us a great taste to try. Thanks for sharing, Mary.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly